Many schools want to incorporate Google Calendars into their Foxbright website. You can now add a Google Calendar to your site in a similar way you add a Foxbright calendar. Once you add one of your Google Calendars it will be available for display on any page of your website.
Foxbright utilizes the iCal Feed available with Google Calendars and most 3rd party calendaring systems. After adding your calendar, Foxbright will read your events and add the events to the Foxbright system. Foxbright will automatically re-sync your calendar periodically so that new events and changes to events will be updated.
If you use a 3rd party calendar system such as Office 365 or ScheduleStar, you can use this method to show your calendars on your Foxbright website. All you need is the iCal feed for your calendar.
Retrieving the Google iCal Address / URL
You must be the owner of the Google Calendar or have proper permissions to get the iCal Address of the calendar.
- Login to Google Calendars.
- Click the dots to the right of the calendar you would like added to your website.
- Choose Settings and Sharing.
- Scroll down to where you see the Integrate Calendars area. Copy the Secret address in iCal format link. The public address link will also work, if the calendar is set to public.
Add a New Calendar in Foxbright
- From the Foxbright CMS Admin Panel, Select Add Calendar from the Calendars menu.
- Enter the Calendar Name
- Select External iCal Feed for the Calendar Type
- Paste in the iCal URL (from the step above)
If the iCal URL box is red, this indicates that you have an invalid iCal URL. You may want to repeat Retrieving the Google iCal Address / URL or contact Foxbright Support.
- Set the Sync Frequency to how frequently you want the calendar to be re-synced. Select Daily or Hourly if you are not sure.
- Select the Save button. The system will read the events and create a copy of the events in Foxbright.
You can see if your events were properly read and copied to Foxbright by following these steps:
- Select List Events from the Calendar Menu.
- Filter the events to the calendar that you just synced by selecting your calendar name.
- Your events should be displayed in the list. If they are not, please contact Foxbright Support.
Manual Re-Sync of Calendar
If you need your calendar to be updated immediately, you can manually re-sync your events.
- Select Manage Calendars from the Calendar Menu options.
- You will see a list of Calendars. From this list, you can click the gear icon next to your calendar and choose Sync External Events. Alternatively, or if you'd like to sync multiple calendars, check the box next to each calendar to be synced and click Go at the bottom of the calendar list with Sync External Events selected in the dropdown.
- The Selected Calendars will be synced.