Headline news is usually used on the district or school home pages as it is presented in a more narrow width than regular news.
There are several fields associated with each Headlines News Page. Some are required, some are optional. These fields allow you to customize various options such as monthly headings or the number of items displayed on a page.
Following are explanations of Headlines News ‘required’ fields. These fields must be populated before the News Page can display news articles. "Optional" fields will be explained in the lower section of this article.
- From the Web Pages tab, find the area of your website were you would like to create the news page, and click on Add Page.
Note: You May also add a headlines section to an existing page by choosing Edit next to the page’s name.
- In the Page/Menu Name field, enter a descriptive name. This Name will display on your Headlines News Page.
- Click on the Content Button to add content to the new page.
- Hover the mouse over the area you would like to add a news section processor to reveal the processor options and choose Change Block.
- In the Change Block window use the dropdown box to select News Headlines.
- Click on Change Block.
- An Edit Content window will appear. In the Title field, enter the title that will appear above the headline news articles as they are displayed on the web page.
- In the Section field, select the news section that contains the news articles to be displayed on this page.
- Save the window.
Note: News Articles must have Display in News Headlines option to set to Yes before they are displayed on the Headlines News Page.
- Preview and Publish the page to make the news page available to the public.
Enhancing Headlines News Pages - Optional Fields
There are several ‘optional’ fields available that enhance the functionality & display of the News Headlines Page. These fields can be populated when the News Headlines Page is created or at a later time using the Edit functionality.
- Show Month Headings: When set to No, no month headings are displayed. When set to Yes, the News Headlines are grouped by month and the month is displayed above the Headlines. The default is No.
- Maximum Items to Show: This field manages the number of articles to display per page. The default is 5.
- Show Details Inline (Yes/No): When set to No, the CMS displays the details in a pop-up window. When set to Yes, the details are displayed in an existing window. The default is No.
- Inline Details Page: This field is required if you set Show Details Inline to Yes. If Show Details Inline is set to Yes, you must add a ‘dummy’ page to your website. Then you must edit the News Headlines page and enter the URL for the ‘dummy’ page in the Inline Details Page field.
- Show More News Link (Yes/No): The default is No. However, if you want a link to another News Page and make it available from this headline news page select Yes.
- More News Link Text: This field is required if you set Show More News Links to Yes. If so, enter the text to describe the link.
- News Page for More News Link: This field is required if you set Show More News Links to Yes. If so, you must select the news page to link to using the dropdown box.
- RSS Enable, RSS Stream Title, RSS Stream Description - see Using RSS to View News Articles for a detailed explanation of the RSS functionality.