Photo galleries display a collection of photos on a webpage. The galleries can be presented in several formats when placed on a page. All galleries are created the same way and the display type is determined by which photo gallery block type is used on a page.
- Slideshow - The Slideshow is a self-contained display for galleries not located in the focus image area.
- Photo Board - Photo Board displays a grid of photo thumbnails which can then be enlarged by a visitor for full-size viewing.
- Banner Rotator - The Banner Rotator is designed for use in focus image areas.
- Photo Carousel - The Photo Carousel fans out images in a gallery so that a visitor can tab over images on either side of the carousel to engage rotation.
Clicking the Photo Galleries tab will display a list of galleries the user has access to. The gear icon next to galleries in the list provide the options to Edit or Delete the gallery. Galleries can also be edited by clicking their name on the list.
Creating a photo gallery
- Click the Add Photo Gallery create a new photo gallery.
- Give the photo gallery a name.
- If the gallery is to be used for a page's focus area, such as a home page, the appropriate size category should be selected. Size categories can be used for other galleries to engage the Image Wizard cropping tool to crop each image to the same size. Web administrators can create new size categories.
- A building can be selected if the website uses themes (colored layouts unique to each building) for different buildings. Assigning a building to a gallery will apply the building's theme to the auto-generated perma-page for the gallery.
- Click Next.
- In the Edit Photo Gallery page, there are three tabs. the Information bar is expandable and will display additional settings for the gallery:
• Information - Contains the Name, Size, and Buildings fields in case they ever need to be changed.
• Photos - This tab displays the images uploaded to the gallery.
• Editors with Permissions - Additional accounts can be clicked and added to the Selected Editors list so they can edit the gallery.
At the top of the Edit Photo Gallery page, there are buttons to Add Photo, Save, and Cancel.
- Add a Photo - Adds a new image to the gallery
- Save - Saves all changes made to the gallery
- Cancel - Reverts all changes to the galleries Information area and closes the gallery. Cancel will also undo any reordering done to the images in the gallery. Note: images are saved to the gallery as they are added. To remove any newly-added images, they must be deleted.
Adding photos to a gallery
- Click the Add Photo button.
- Click Select New Image to Upload to upload an image file from computer.
- If a Size Category has been selected for the gallery, the Image Wizard cropping tool will open. See: Using the Image Wizard Cropper. Tip: If no size category is selected, the image will be uploaded in it's original size/ratio.
The Following fields are available for each photo uploaded:
- Image Alt Text / This is decorative (one or the other is required) - Alt Text is required if the image contains important information or links. Marking an image decorative, instead of using alt text, is recommended if the image is for decorative purpose only.
- Name - Will be displayed in gallery captions when applicable.
- Description - Will be displayed in gallery captions when applicable.
- Link - Add an internal or external link the image. Paste in the destination URL if linking to an external source, use the Select Link button to link to an internal page or file.
- Link Text - adds text for the selected link. Default link text of 'Read more...' will be used if no link text is added. Note: for ADA compliance, descriptive link text is usually recommended, however, if the default link text is desired for this gallery, the system will use the photo name as screen reader text.
- Open Link in New Window – Select Yes if the link is to open in a new window.
- Save the photo to add it to the gallery.
Editing / Reordering / Deleting photos within a gallery
- Reordering Images - Once multiple photos have been added to a gallery, they can be drag-and-dropped into the preferred order.
- Delete an Image - click the Delete button on the photo and confirm the deletion.
- Edit Image Settings - click the Edit button on the image. An existing image can be swapped for a new image by choosing Select New Image to Upload.
- Save the gallery to apply changes to the gallery.
Note: the Cancel button will not undo deleting or adding new images to the gallery. Only changes to the gallery Information settings and image reordering will be reverted through cancelling the gallery.