The Five Step Process allows you to make changes to a page and to make the content available to the public. This is the basic process for using the Foxbright for Schools CMS software. Once you understand the Five Step Process, you will understand the basics for adding content and changing content on the web site.
The Five Step Process includes the following five steps:
Step 1: Finding the Page
The first step in the Five Step Process is FIND. This step includes searching for the page that is edited in the next step. After logging in from the CMS Control Panel, find the page by clicking on the plus (+) signs in the tree to navigate to the page.
- Open the CMS Control Panel by typing /admin after the home page web address.
- Type in your username and password to enter the CMS Control Panel.
- Click the Web Pages tab and choose Page Tree.
Note: You will only see the pages that you have rights to edit.
- Click on the plus (+) signs to navigate to the page you want to edit. You may need to click on multiple plus (+) signs to find your page.
Step 2: Editing the Page
The second step in the Five Step Process is Edit. In this step you will add content to your page. This section of the manual will briefly cover this step. Refer to later sections on adding text, images and links for information on adding these items.
- From the Page Tree, click Edit.
- Inside your page there are blocks where you can add content. Hover over the block you wish to edit and click Edit or if you need to change the type of content, for instance to change from plain text to a calendar, click Change Block and choose the type of module you want from the dropdown menu that appears.
- Add or edit your text. You can also insert images and links. Following sections of this manual cover formatting text, adding images, and adding links in more detail.
Step 3: Saving the Page
The third step in the Five Step Process is Save. All section processors within a page have a dedicated save button. You will not be able to exit editing mode without pressing save or cancel.
- The Save button saves your work and allows you to keep editing your page.
- The Cancel button removes all work done since the last save. All work after that save is deleted.
When editing the content in you page you also have the options to Publish, Preview, and Close.
- Publish will make your work live and visible to the public or will alert the content publisher for your website know you are ready to publish your page. Note: If you are not a content publisher Publish will be Ready to Publish which will alert your content publisher you are ready to publish your page.
- Preview will initiate a pop-up window showing how your published page will look.
- Close will exit the page and return you to the page tree.
Step 4: Previewing the Page
The fourth step in the Five Step Process is Preview. Here you can check and make sure the page looks as you would expect before publishing it.
Important! Always preview your page to ensure that it looks as expected.
- Simply click Preview.
- A preview of the page opens in a new window and gives you a chance to review the page before it is published.
- When you are done previewing the page, close the preview window.
Step 5: Publishing the Page
The fifth step and last step in the Five Step Process is Publish. If you are a Content Editor, you will prepare the page to be published by a Content Publisher. If you are a Content Publisher, you will publish the page so that it can be seen by the public.
Content Editors alert the Content Publishers that the page is ready to be published.
- Click Ready to Publish.
- At this time, the public does not see the change. An email is now sent to a Content Publisher, telling him or her that the page is ready to be published to the public.
Content Publishers can publish a page without clicking Ready to Publish. They can publish both their own pages as well as pages that Content Editors have prepared. When Content Editors click Ready to Publish, Content Publishers will receive an email letting them know that Content Editors have edited pages and need them to publish them.
- Click the Web Pages tab on the left of the Administrative Panel and choose Page Tree.
- Find the page.
- Check the check box in front of the page name and click Publish Selected.
- The check box will disappear. Now the public will see the change.