The Image Wizard photo cropping tool has been added to photo galleries and spotlight groups to allow users to easily resize and crop photos. When a size category is assigned to the photo gallery or spotlight group, the photos will be cropped to same width and height.
The Online Photo Editor is still available for editing photos that are not being added to a photo gallery or a spotlight.
Note: Only web administrators have the ability to add size category presets. Once a preset is in the system, any user can apply the size category to their gallery or spotlight group.
Using Size Categories for Photo Galleries
Note: Photo galleries can still be created without any size restriction. When no preset is selected, the image cropping tool will not be available.
Creating/Editing a Photo Gallery with a Size Category
- Click the Photo Gallery option on the left of the admin panel and choose Add Photo Gallery.
Note: You can 'edit' an existing photo gallery and add a size category to it. This will not change the photos in that are already in the gallery.
- Name the photo gallery and choose Next.
- Expand the Information bar for the gallery to reveal the size category dropdown.
- Select the desired Size Category for the gallery. If the desired size isn’t listed, contact the web administrator to add a new size category.
- Save the gallery to have it added to the CMS, or begin adding photos by clicking Add a Photo.
Using the Image Wizard in Photo Galleries
- Under Photo Galleries, edit the photo gallery from the Photo Gallery List.
- Click Add a Photo.
- Click Select New Image to Upload to open the computer’s browser to search for the image.
- The photo is loaded into the Image Wizard, which provides tools to resize and crop the photo to the correct size.
Note: If the Photo Gallery does not have a Size Category associated with it, the Image Wizard will not be initiated by the system.
- A slider under the photo is provided to make the photo larger or smaller. If uploading a large photo, the slider may take a moment to load.
- A transparent crop window will appear on top of the photo. Drag the window to pick a different portion of the photo. Moving the slider will increase or decrease the amount of the photo included in the crop window. The crop window will never go smaller than the assigned size category.
- By resizing the photo and moving the crop-box, select the portion of the photo to be used.
- Once the desired portion of the photo is in the crop-box, click the Next button to see the cropped and resized photo.
- Click Undo Crop to return to the crop selection window, or Save to add the photo to the gallery.
Additional photo settings include:
- Image Alt-text: Required for images with a link or displaying text or content that should be read to a user with reading or vision disabilities. The image can be marked as 'decorative' if no alt-text is necessary. It is best-practice to mark images as decorative if the content is non-informational to the visitor.
- Name: This will show when a visitor hovers over the photo in the gallery.
- Description: Some website templates show the image description in a gallery overlay.
- Link: Use this to link the photo to another website, a page in your website or a file.
- Link text: provides link text for a linked image when photo captions are displayed on the page.
- Link Into New Window: This is typically set to Yes if linking to an external website or a document. Set to No if linking to a page in you website.
Using Size Categories with Spotlights
Spotlights are an attractive way to highlight important information on a website. By adding the Image Wizard feature to spotlights, a user can ensure the image for each spotlight is the same size for optimal display and performance.
Creating/Editing a Spotlight Group with a Size Category
- Click Add Spotlight Group under the Spotlights option in the left of the admin panel.
Note: You can 'edit' an existing spotlight group and add a size category to it. This will not change the photos in that are already in the group.
- Give the spotlight group a Name, often the name of the building the group belongs to.
- The Description is an optional field for additional information on the group. This description is not visible to site visitors.
- Choose the Size Category for the spotlight group.
- Save the new spotlight group.
Using the Image Wizard with Spotlights
- Click Add Spotlight in the left of the admin panel.
- Select the Primary Group from the dropdown list. This tells the image wizard what size the spotlight image should be.
Important: A primary group must be selected prior to uploading an image for the image wizard to initiate.
- Click Select New Image to Upload to browse the computer for an image. Selecting an image will open the image wizard unless a size category hasn't been selected for the spotlight group.
- A slider under the photo is provided to make the image larger or smaller.
- A transparent crop window on top of the photo will be shown. Move the box to pick a different portion of the image.
- By resizing the image and moving the crop-box, the desired portion of the image can be selected.
- Once the correct portion of the image is in the crop-box, click the Next button to see the cropped and resized image.
- Click Undo Crop to return to the crop selection window, or Save to add the image to the spotlight.
- After completing the other Spotlight fields, select Save.
See the spotlight documentation for more information on spotlights.